University of Saskatchewan

The Act establishing the University of Saskatchewan was passed by the Legislative Assembly of the Province on April 3, 1907. The Senate held its first meeting on January 8, 1908, when elections to the Board of Governors were held. In August of the same year, Professor W. C. Murray of Dalhousie University was appointed first President of the University, and he continued to hold that office until June 30, 1937. Other presidents have been J. S. Thomson, (1937-49), W. P. Thompson (1949-59), J. W. T. Spinks (1959-74), R. W. Begg (1974-80), L. F. Kristjanson (1980-89) and J. W. G. Ivany (1989-present).

The first classes in Arts and Science began on September 28, 1909, when 70 students were registered. The first building on the campus was opened for the admission of students in October, 1912. The other colleges and schools were established as follows: Agriculture, 1912; Engineering, 1912; Law, 1913; Pharmacy, 1914; Commerce, 1917; Medicine, 1926; Education, 1927; Nursing, 1938; Graduate Studies, 1946; Physical Education, 1958; Veterinary Medicine, 1964; Dentistry, 1965; Physical Therapy, 1976.

St. Thomas More College was established by the Fathers of the Order of St. Basil in 1936 and offers Arts courses which are also offered through corresponding departments of the College of Arts and Science.

In 1934, Regina College became part of the University and continued as a Junior College with a Conservatory of Music. In 1959, the institution was raised to full degree-granting status, making it a second campus of the University of Saskatchewan. On July 1, 1961, the College was renamed the University of Saskatchewan Regina Campus. By an Act of Legislation in 1974, the Regina Campus became an independent university, called the University of Regina.

Other Junior Colleges were authorized in 1924 to give work for university credit to the end of the second year in Arts and Science. St. Peter’s Historic Junior College at Muenster continues to function.

On July 1, 1964 the two Teacher Colleges at Saskatoon and Regina became a part of the University and all teacher education programs were integrated within the University.

Theological Colleges, affiliated with the University and located on or near the campus, began work as follows: Emmanuel College (Anglican) 1909 (now the College of Emmanuel and St. Chad), St. Andrew’s College (United Church) 1913, Lutheran Theological Seminary (formerly Lutheran College and Seminary 1920, and Luther Theological Seminary 1949), and Central Pentecostal College 1983.

The Gabriel Dumont College of Metis Studies and Applied Research also became affiliated with the University in 1994.